CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Peanut-Free, Artificials/Preservative-Free.....
but definitely NOT Flavor-Free Living.

...Share With Us...
Our Food Allergy Journey
Allergy Detection, Management & Treatments
Allergy-Free Cooking Tips
Allergy Safe Recipes


Monday, June 9, 2008

Our Third Son Joins Us.....The Journey Begins

On October 27, 2005 our family was blessed by the birth of our third son. His birth was a bit complicated as he was delivered frank breach. The doctor didn’t realize he was breach until after my water had broken and I was dilated to 9 ½ cm. However, despite the complicated birth, he was a beautiful healthy baby boy, checking into the world at 6 pounds 14 ounces.

The first 3 weeks after he was born, things were wonderful. He was such a sweet baby who loved to be held. He was peaceful and slept well. He was exclusively breastfed and was gaining weight well. About 3 weeks in some symptoms started to develop.

  • He started to spitup profusely with each feeding.
  • He developed a diaper rash that wouldn’t clear up, no matter what remedy was tried on it.
  • His stools became very loose and full of mucous, he would have 5-6 stools per day.
  • He would wheeze after nursing.
  • He had an eczema rash on his skin (particularly behind his ears and on his scalp).

  • He had red eyes and a plugged nose.
  • He would only nap for 15 minutes at a time, and then would awake screaming.
  • He had to be held constantly and would scream most of the time he was being held.

We saw the pediatrician several times between weeks 3-6. At first they started him on Zantac to help control the reflux. At 4 weeks old, I removed tomatoes from my diet, things improved slightly. At 5 weeks old he had an incident with projectile vomiting (after I ate ice cream the night before). Finally at about 6 weeks old the pediatrician tested for blood in the stool, microscopic amounts of blood were found. The pediatrician suggested that it might be a milk allergy. She suggested that all obvious forms of dairy be removed from my diet. This really overwhelmed me as I couldn’t imagine my diet without dairy as it was so embedded in. However, I did it and found that it wasn’t too bad, at this point I definitely wanted to help my son (I was seriously considering dairy-free formula at this point).

I replaced cow’s milk with soy milk, symptoms worsened. At this point the pediatrician contacted a Pediatric Gastroenterologist. He suggested that our third son be placed on an amino acid based formula called Neocate. He said that we would have a "new" baby after 5 days. So we started on Neocate while I maintained my milk supply by pumping. This was very exhausting to be pumping 6-8 times a day & bottle feeding 6-8 times a day. Things did not improve, the screaming worsened. During this time I decided to remove ALL dairy, soy, chocolate & tomatoes from my diet. At the end of 5 days it was obvious that Neocate was not the answer and we went back to breastfeeding with me on a strict diet. Things were much improved. He started napping better, the diaper rash pretty much cleared up. The stools improved a little, and some of the screaming stopped. We were finding a few answers....but it was just the beginning.

0 comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation